The problem with the Maginot line….
For those of you too youthful to know what the problem was with the Maginot line it can be simply explained as this, “a defensive barrier or strategy that inspires a false sense of security, (MerriamWebster)
A system of defensive fortifications built by France in the 1930s to protect its Eastern border and stretching almost 322 kilometres. It was designed and thought to be an impenetrable obstacle, however, ultimately that became irrelevant. The enemy who by the late 1930s was a fully mechanised force simply went around it and the rest is history. What has this got to do with technology and security? Well, it’s a straightforward analogy, cyber security has to be comprehensive and protect all of your users and resources, otherwise, the bad guys will simply go around your defences
Perhaps in a bid to save money, an organisation may focus its resources and budget on protecting those employees who are custodians of the most valuable information; leaving lower-level employees exposed in the belief they are of less interest to hackers
This thinking is flawed, non-executives are targeted 77% more often than executives. Non-execs accounts may still hold sensitive information and have access to financial data. They may be lower-level admins of certain systems that effectively provide another back door to hackers
The Advisor Anywhere Security Suite provides multi-layer cyber security tools to protect your business. In this article, we will focus on email
Unprotected users in your system, are exposed to the following attack scenarios
1. Malware Phishing: 50.7% of Phishing attacks contain malware
Unprotected users are vulnerable to opening and deploying:
- Zero-day malware files
- Evasive malware
- Malware, Trojans, and Executables in trusted file shares
2. Credential Harvesting: 40.9% of Phishing attacks contain credential harvesting code Unprotected users are exposed to:
- Links pointing back to a low reputation domain
- Links pointing back to an unrelated domain
- The credential harvesting email itself
- (Microsoft is the most impersonated domain)
3. Extortion Email: 8% of Phishing attacks are extortion emails An unprotected user is exposed to:
- Emails that demand a form of ransom
- mails with Crypto-Wallet addresses
- Emails spoofing other Users or Domains
4. Spear Phishing: 0.4% of Phishing attacks are Spear Fishing
Your unprotected accounts won’t be protected against:
- Accounts that are taken over, monitored, and strategically used as they interact with protected users
- There will be no links
- No Attachments
The case for full protection
If your strategy is only to protect the rainmakers that run your organisation think again; unprotected inboxes, especially those that aren’t opened regularly, can be your Achilles heel.
Those inboxes may auto-forward email to other staff, or they might be catch-all inboxes for certain departments whose staff occasionally check-in. All it takes is one click, one response, or one download to completely compromise your network.
Limited or partial protection in your organisation could expose you to substantial financial losses and damage to your reputation.
Contact us now about protecting your business with Mail Protector our native 365 embedded API email security solution (powered by Avanan).